Register
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

Backyard discovery

View active topics

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:44 am  Reply with quote Report this post 

So we bought a new house a month ago and were told the plants in the back were ornamental, fruitless bananas. I wasn’t in love with the idea of ornamental bananas, especially since I’ve wanted to grow my own fruit for as long as we’ve lived in Florida.

Anyway, this morning, I decided to cut back all the dead and burned leaves on the plants. I wasn’t sure if that would kill off what was left, but since I wasn’t in love with the plants in the first place, I didn’t really care. I got to the very back of the group and there was what appeared to be a completely dead plant ... bent over, all the leaves dead. I chopped it off at the base and when I went to throw it in the compost pile, lo and behold, there’s a cluster of small, underripe fruits attached to a long dead bloom.

Now I don’t know what to do. Do y’all think this might be something edible? They kinda look like burro bananas, but I’m not sure. I don’t have any hopes of these ripening, but if there’s a chance I might get fruit out of the plants in the future, maybe I don’t want to chop them all down and start over.

Any ideas/advice?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:57 am  Reply with quote Report this post 

Try to find out about this from the house's previous tenants if you have their contacts or perhaps from your neighbors. People sometimes know perfectly well what their neighbors grow, so they will certainly be able to tell you whether these fruits are edible. We also recently moved into a new house and rented furniture from https://onstage-online.com. We haven't fully settled in yet. There were also some interesting plants growing in our backyard, but we didn't know what it was. I was worried that it could be dangerous for children because of decorative poisonous plants. But an elderly neighbor calmed me down. She is a botanist and well versed in plants, and those that grow here are not dangerous to humans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:26 am  Reply with quote Report this post 

Hi, Thanks a lot for this guide as this information is really useful. I really found this post informative and relevant. If you are also looking out for the spectrum email server settings